Why does the district need an Educational Programs and Operations Replacement Levy?
The Educational Programs and Operations Replacement Levy funds programs and resources for students not fully funded by state basic funding, such as athletics and extra-curricular activities, support staff, nurses, counselors, safety and security, professional development for staff, special education, highly capable, routine repairs and much more.
How is this levy different from the capital bond we passed last February?
Levies are for learning and bonds are for building. The bond that was approved by voters last February can only be used to build schools. The Educational Programs and Operations Replacement Levy supports all other District programs and maintains essential funding beyond state basic education.
Isn't the state fully funding education?
The state Legislature has made progress in its efforts to fund education and meet the State Supreme Court's order to do so, but the state still only funds basic education, which accounts for 82% of our District’s budget. This levy funds the remaining essential 18% of our District’s budget.
What is the history regarding this type of levy?
Peninsula School District voters overwhelmingly approved the Continuing Educational Programs and Operations Levy in 2016, at 70.2%. The 2016 levy expires in December 2020, so the Educational Programs and Operations Replacement Levy will replace that expiring levy.
What is the tax rate, and why is it lower than the 2016 levy?
The State legislature has established guidelines for districts, lowering the local school tax burden and shifting that burden to the state. Districts may collect the lesser of either $2.50 per $1,000 of assessed property value or $2,500 per student. For our District, the applicable formula is $2,500 per student, which is estimated to be $1.50 per $1,000 of assessed value.
The $1.50 per $1,000 is lower than the levy we passed in 2016, which was on the ballot at $2.16 per $1,000 of assessed property value. The levy funds are essential to the operating budget for school districts across the state - this tax is not unique to Peninsula School District.
How are the levy funds used?
Levy funds ensure our District’s quality education programs continue in our schools and reflect our community’s investment in our students. Levy dollars provide for support beyond the state allocation for basic education including but not limited to: safety and security, early learning, special education, highly capable, music, nurses, counselors, teachers, support staff, transportation, preventative maintenance, athletics and activities and professional development for staff.
When will ballots be mailed?
Ballots will be mailed January 24, 2020. Ballots are due February 11, 2020.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.