Kopachuck middle school Modernization
Because of cost-saving steps made by the Peninsula School District, modernization of Kopachuck Middle School began in July 2021 and is expected to be complete by Spring 2023.
Due to cost-saving steps made by the district, additional state funding assistance for Swift Water Elementary, and an accelerated construction schedule for the elementary projects, Peninsula School District is able to modernize and add additional classrooms at Kopachuck Middle School using 2019 capital bond funds.
After elementary overcrowding and emergent facility needs, addressing middle school overcrowding was identified as the district’s next highest priority.
Construction for the modernization and additions at Kopachuck began in July 2021, with phased construction and a completion in the spring of 2023.
How Are We Funding Modernizations at Kopachuck Middle School?
PSD qualified for School Construction Assistance Program (SCAP) dollars from the state for Artondale Elementary,
Swift Water Elementary, Evergreen Elementary, Key Peninsula Middle School, and Kopachuck Middle School, allowing the district to pool bond funds designated for emergent needs to pay for the middle school projects.
- The rapid design and permitting schedules on the four elementary school projects helped avoid some expected inflation costs.
- Available impact fees can be used to construct new classrooms that will add capacity to the schools.
- Costs for Pioneer Elementary School were significantly lessened, as PSD purchased the old Boys & Girls Club to expand instead of building a new school from the ground up.
Seeing the progress that we're making so far is awesome. The incredible technology and updates to classrooms, and what that brings to the feel of a learning space is great. We're just really looking forward to everybody having a place to land, to work out of, and to create our own community,
Principal Kelsey Parke
Latest Kopachuck Construction News
Project Management Consultants
Jeff Greene, Calvin Gasaway,
Jesse Ahlberg, Sam Rosendahl
- Projected Completion: Spring 2023
- Addresses emergent needs at our two oldest middle schools
- Addresses anticipated capacity needs by adding additional classrooms
- Creates space for current and future educational programing
- Updates school exteriors to better represent our communities
- Refreshes school interiors for a better learning environment
The design team
Capital Projects Coordinator