Bookkeeper – Middle School
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Middle School
This position maintains Associated Student Body (ASB) and General Fund Budget (GF) accounts. Responsibilities include receipting payments, issuing purchase orders, preparing financial reports and maintaining accounting records and supervising the student store. The position also provides general clerical support in the school office.
Reports to Principal
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receipts payments for various activities and class fees using InTouch. Prepares deposit slips and takes deposit to bank; prepares transmittal reports for verification of deposits. Collects NSF checks.
- Prepares change boxes for student and special activities and accounts for monies.
- Writes checks and maintains a checking account; reconciles account with bank statement; submits documentation for reimbursement. Maintains and reconciles other fund accounts as assigned; Reconciles budget printouts received from district’s central Accounting Department.
- Maintains ASB and GF accounting records; posts receipts and expenditures to proper accounts and prepares a variety of reports. Maintain records on computer. Maintains student financial data; posts fines and payments; communicates with families concerning fines owed.
- Responds to inquiries concerning ASB and other account matters; meets with auditors and district Accounts Payable staff as necessary to provide records, information and explanations. Works with students and student advisors; communicates ASB and GF procedures; assists with ASB events, activities, and fundraisers; keeps records and prepares reports.
- Ensures that accounting procedures as established by the district are followed. Maintains financial records according to required retention schedules. Prepares ASB and General fund annual budget for principal approval; prepares General Fund budget status reports for staff; apprises staff of “fee budgets” for classes.
- Supervises student store operations; supervises student assistants; monitors and corrects behavior of student assistants and student purchasers; communicates with staff members on needed class supplies; handles purchases for and stocks student store; maintains inventories.
- Prepares purchase orders online and obtains approval signatures. Obtains bids and quotes on a variety of supplies and equipment such as medical supplies, student store items, and P.E. equipment. Communicates with vendors concerning purchase orders; receives supplies and verifies them against purchase orders; processes invoices for payment.
- Maintains athletic records and supplies such as uniform records and first aid kits; communicates with coaches concerning purchase of student ASB cards.
- May prepare annual building supply order; takes inventory, compiles and submits order; verifies shipments, checks in, distributes order, and stocks work room.
- Receipts payments for student annuals and maintains list for distribution of annuals.
- Manages the school webstore for online payment of fees and fines and purchases of school items.
- Provides back-up support to other office personnel as necessary.
- Performs a variety of office duties, such as typing, filing, answering the telephone, opening and distributing mail, assisting office visitors and making announcements over the intercom system.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Experiences frequent interruptions. Required to lift and carry heavy supplies or bags of coins. Transportation of money to bank requires security awareness.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in bookkeeping and three years of clerical experience, including bookkeeping.
Advanced technical training in bookkeeping or secretarial procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to two years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accounting records and spreadsheets.
- Skill in using Excel.
- Skill in using computers and various software programs.
- Skill in operating a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Skill in oral communication.
- Ability to learn district and state ASB bookkeeping procedures.
- Ability to learn district procedures for other accounts.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff, and the general public.