PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
This position provides support in the health room. Responsibilities include maintaining student health records, including immunizations; providing first aid to students; assisting with screenings; and completing clerical tasks related to health needs as directed by the school nurse. The position works under the direction of a school nurse.
Reports to building principal; responsible to school nurses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains current school health records; creates new records, updates health information; routes health records to various teachers within the schools as requested. Ensures that health records are maintained in a confidential manner.
- Gathers, assesses, and records immunization information; gathers health data for a variety of state reports such as for scoliosis, immunization, vision and hearing.
- Attends to student health needs and provides basic first aid. Calls parents regarding student accidents or illness; arranges for transportation home as necessary.
- Compiles health lists for nursing office, teachers, coaches, and counselors as directed by the school nurse.
- May review and record medical history from sports physicals.
- Keeps respective school nurse informed concerning health or student problems as they arise.
- Assists school nurse with screenings for vision, hearing and scoliosis.
- May be required to perform health services including, but not limited to, clean intermittent catheterization (CIC); gastrointestinal tube feeding using a pump or gravity; administration of oral medication by mouth, feeding tube, inhaler, or nebulizer; use of a magnet over a vagus nerve stimulator (VNS) to control seizures; oral suctioning using a bulb syringe or suction machine; provision of a cough-assist procedure; administration of emergency medication using an auto-injector; administration of oxygen; and ostomy care.
- Maintains inventory of supplies for nursing services; prepares supply orders for health rooms once per year. Receives, verifies and stocks supplies.
- Listens to students’ personal problems as they relate to health, physical abuse or substance abuse. Reports situations to appropriate school administrator or nurse for follow-up as necessary. Maintains confidentiality of personal problems among general staff and students.
- Dispenses medication, keeps records, contacts parents as needed. Prepares first aid kits for buildings.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Experiences frequent interruptions; requires record-keeping with visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision; confined to work area; exposed to infectious diseases carried by students. Occasionally required to attend to students’ personal hygiene or physically restrain students. Must follow state and district policies and procedures related to blood borne pathogens.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and one year of clerical work experience. Health care training desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general first aid.
- Knowledge of clerical practices and procedures.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment and various software programs.
- Ability to set priorities and organize activities.
- Ability to screen and treat minor student illness and injuries.
- Ability to evaluate need for medical attention by trained personnel.
- Ability to administer medication as directed.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to assist nurses in screening procedures.
- Ability to follow through tasks to completion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and students.
Valid first aid certificate and training in CPR.