PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Business Services
This position provides technical expertise and support to the Purchasing Department. Major responsibilities include soliciting quotations, processing purchase orders, researching product specifications and pricing, coordinating procurement card process, responding to requests for information and communicating purchasing policies and procedures to staff, vendors and others.
Reports to Business Services Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that procurement actions are correctly documented and all actions are in accordance with federal procurement regulations, state law and district policy. Purchasing, Public Works, Small works, requests for proposal and formal bid processes.
- Initiates, processes and distributes purchase orders in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Participates in the research and development of policies and procedures for the Purchasing Department. Communicates these procedures to staff, vendors, public and others.
- Assists in providing district-wide training to staff and provides phone support for the computerized purchase order system.
- Solicit source and pricing for items and services in cooperation with requesting school/department.
- Researches and recommends favorable options to promote procurement of goods and services.
- Processes annual contracts for services provided to multiple school sites on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible for maintaining departmental records on bids, quotes, contracts, purchase orders, vendors and correspondence in compliance with federal and state law.
- Responsible for maintaining Vendor Master in financial system with knowledge of applicable reporting requirements under state and federal regulations.
- Assists with department accounting functions including but not limited to journal entries, state warrant processing, and backup support to accounts receivable.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision; required to sit for prolonged periods; required to meet inflexible deadlines. Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Education and Experience:
High school graduation or equivalent with three years of school district accounting experience. Practical knowledge of procurement and public works regulations desirable.
Advanced education in accounting or purchasing experience in a non-school district setting may substitute on a month-for-month basis for the required experience. Alternative combinations of education and experience will be evaluated and considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting and purchasing procedures.
- Knowledge of Public Works, Revised Code of Washington and other rules and regulations pertaining to school district purchasing.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word and other software programs.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, set priorities, meet deadlines and remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, vendors and the general public.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; excellent telephone manner.
- Ability to operate a computer, printer, modem, fax and related office technology.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- Ability to correctly perform basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Valid Washington State Driver’s License and proof of insurance.