PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
This position schedules students for classes, maintains student demographic and transcript information. Responsibilities include maintaining student records, entering information into the computer system for scheduling and grading.
Reports to Principal
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with building administrators, department chairs, and counselors in the development of a master schedule; inputs information into computer for master schedule. Scans student course selections and makes necessary changes; generates scheduling materials. Maintains accurate reports and class counts for use in scheduling; prints related reports as requested. Distributes schedules to offices and staff; maintains accurate class lists for teachers.
- Assists counselors, teachers, students, and parents in course scheduling. Records schedule changes throughout the year; forwards copies of schedule change information to staff. Tracks down and reassigns students who are missing classes or are in the wrong class and early dismissal and late arrival students Prepares ethnic, dropout and other reports as requested.
- Oversees operation of school’s computer network system. Troubleshoots minor equipment and software problems. Answers staff questions, provides training and assistance to new users. Maintains and determines system security levels.
- Evaluates transcripts to credit student’s previous course work. Evaluates outside program transcripts such as Running Start. Provides transcript and grade information to athletic office for eligibility and for student ranking and scholarship applications.
- Inputs information into computer to update student records such as demographic data, enrollment and schedule changes.Creates, runs reports to generate enrollment report, supplies information to principal and district office, forwards to various school offices. Creates reports for state audits, forwards to district and state.
- Prepares grading forms and instructions; distributes scan sheets and instructions to teachers. Inputs grade data; makes necessary changes. Prints and distributes cards; prints and files transcripts. Collects, organizes progress reports as requested by teachers, counselors and staff.
- Collects and records grade changes throughout the year; updates transcript information. Notifies counselors of students with incomplete or failing grades. Responds to inquiries from students, parents and public regarding grading and transcript matters.
- Coordinates printing of computerized information for building; oversees operation of printer; ensures that information is printed properly; separates and sorts information for pickup.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision. Prolonged exposure to visual display terminal.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in secretarial procedures and three years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, including greeting the public, maintaining detailed records and working with computer software. Experience in a school district strongly preferred.
Advanced technical training in secretarial or data processing procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a variety of general office machines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment.
- Ability to operate a microcomputer and learn various software programs.
- Ability to learn, maintain and supervise school district computer system.
- Ability to train and provide technical assistance to computer users.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to learn complex mathematical formulas for enrollment and FTE calculations.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work under pressure and be flexible.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with upset or angry students and parents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents and staff.