Main Menu

Explore More

Title I and Learning Assistance Program


What are Title I and LAP (Learning Assistance Program)?

Title I is a federally-funded program established by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 and reauthorized by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.

The Learning Assistance Program (LAP) is a state-funded program established by the Washington State Legislature in 1979.

The object of both programs is to accelerate the achievement of students performing below grade level by providing supplemental academic support.

Who is eligible?

The Peninsula School district uses Title I and LAP resources primarily to assist students who are at risk of not meeting the state’s performance standards in reading and/or math.

Students are identified for Title I or LAP services based on state and district assessment scores. The services offered are in addition to the core curriculum provided to all students. Eligible students may receive support during the school day, before or after school, or in summer school. The services provided may include:

  • One-on-one tutorial support
  • Small group instruction
  • Classroom intervention
  • Take-home instructional resources

How will I know if my child is receiving Title I or LAP services?

Each Title I or LAP school has a certified teacher that coordinates the supplemental services provided to students that have been identified as needing these services by Title I or LAP staff. Intervention staff works closely with classroom teachers to identify eligible students and determine the most effective supplemental service.

If you have additional questions about your child’s participation in the Title I or LAP program, please contact your school principal, or the Title I/LAP director.

How can I support my child’s learning?

Title I and LAP programs encourage families to be involved in their child’s education. Research shows that academic achievement improves significantly when parents are involved in school and at home. Families are invited to be involved in the following ways:

  • Attend student conferences
  • Assist your child with schoolwork and learning activities at home
  • Participate in school and district Title I and LAP parent events
  • Volunteer in your child’s classroom or during school events
  • Engage your child in conversation about what they are learning
  • Communicate with your child’s teacher and school staff when you have questions or concern

Parent Involvement Policies & Procedures


Who do I contact for more information?

Name Location Phone Number
Lisa Reaugh   Peninsula School District (253) 530-1082  
Amanda Hill   Artondale Elementary (253) 530-1100  
Abby Davis  Discovery Elementary (253) 530-1200  
Susan Brummitt   Evergreen Elementary (253) 530-1300  
Debbie McReynolds   Harbor Heights Elementary (253) 530-1800  
Kaitlyn Stoltenberg Minter Creek Elementary (253) 530-4300  
Megan Manning  Purdy Elementary (253) 530-4600  
Lisa Selfors   Vaughn Elementary (253) 530-4700  
Amy Perine Swift Water Elementary (253) 530-4900
Amy Penn Pioneer Elementary (253) 530-3500
Annette Welpman   Voyager Elementary (253) 530-4800  


Highly Qualified Teachers

Peninsula School District is dedicated to providing the best education for our students. According to Section 1119 of the Federal Title I regulations, under the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) act, schools are required to have highly qualified teachers and para-educators. As part of the provisions of the NCLB Act for students attending Title I schools, you may request the professional qualifications of your child’s classroom teacher(s) by contacting your child’s school. The Peninsula School District will provide you with the information as soon as possible upon request. Thank you for your interest and involvement in your child’s education.

Citizen Complaints-Federal Programs

Complaints Related to Federal Programs

A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program.

  • Anyone can file a citizen complaint.
  • There is no special form.
  • There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.

File a Citizen Complaint Against a School District, ESD or Other School Service Provider  
This page outlines the 5-step process through which a citizen can file a complaint against a school district, educational service district (ESD) or other school service provider (subgrantee).

File a Citizen Complaint Against OSPI  
This page outlines the 4-step process through which a citizen can file a complaint against OSPI.

Complaints that Allege Discrimination

Equity and Civil Rights  

Federal Programs @OSPI

Additional Information

Additional information about Title I and LAP (Learning Assistance Program) can be found on the following links on the OSPI website.