As the winter storm season is upon us, here is a reminder of Peninsula School District's procedures and expectations during inclement weather and school closures.
Delay or Closure Decisions:
Any decision to modify the school day is done to support the safety of our staff, students, and families.
Various weather information sources are reviewed before a decision is made. The district’s Transportation Department and neighboring school districts are also consulted.
To help staff and families plan, the district will make every effort to make a decision about a schedule change to a school day before 8:00 p.m. the day prior. In some situations, this may not be possible.
The district may choose to operate on a normal schedule, start late, or close entirely.
A Late Start Allows Us:
- Time to monitor and adjust decisions to changing weather and road conditions;
- Time for the sun to rise so staff, students, and families can walk or drive during daylight hours;
- Additional time for PSD staff to arrive to work; and
- Time for the Transportation Department to further critique snow routes and make necessary adjustments or modifications.
How We Will Communicate a Decision Regarding Delays and/or Closures:
- ParentSquare notifies all staff and parents of a decision by phone, text, and/or email. In most instances, the message will override the digest setting, so messages arrive immediately.
- PSD website: psd401.net
- PSD social media platforms - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Local TV (KOMO, KING, KIRO, KCPQ) and radio stations
Any updates will be broadcast immediately via the communications methods listed above.
The Peninsula School District has a large geographical size, and weather conditions may vary significantly from area to area. This may warrant a closure or late start for the entire district due to conditions impacting only limited areas. Thank you for your understanding.