As the stormy season is upon us, we wanted to share a reminder of Peninsula School District's procedures and expectations during inclement weather and school closures. You can also find this information, as well as Emergency Snow Routes, on our website at psd401.net/transportation.
Delay or Closure Decisions:
- Any decision to modify the school day is done to support the safety of our staff, students, and families.
- Various weather information sources are reviewed before a decision is made. The district’s Transportation Department and neighboring school districts are also consulted.
- To help staff and families plan, the district will make every effort to make a decision about a schedule change to a school day before 8:00 p.m. the day prior. In some situations, this may not be possible.
- The district may choose to operate on a normal schedule, start late, or close entirely.
A Late Start Allows Us:
- Time to monitor and adjust decisions to changing weather and road conditions;
- Time for the sun to rise so staff, students, and families can walk or drive during daylight hours;
- Additional time for PSD staff to arrive to work; and
- Time for the Transportation Department to further critique snow routes and make necessary adjustments or modifications.
- If we operate on a delayed schedule, there will be no out of district or West Sound Tech transportation, and developmental preschool will be canceled. We will communicate if buses are operating on snow routes or regular routes.
How We Will Communicate a Decision Regarding Delays and/or Closures:
- ParentSquare notifies all staff and parents of a decision by phone, text, and/or email. In most instances, the message will override the digest setting, so messages arrive immediately.
- PSD website: psd401.net
- PSD social media platforms - Facebook, Instagram
- Local TV (KOMO, KING, KIRO, KCPQ) and radio stations
- If you are a community member who would like to receive PSD emergency notification alerts, you may sign up here.
Any updates will be broadcast immediately via the communications methods listed above.
The Peninsula School District has a large geographical size, and weather conditions may vary significantly from area to area. This may warrant a closure or late start for the entire district due to conditions impacting only limited areas. Thank you for your understanding.