Dear Peninsula School District Families,
As we begin the 2021-2022 school year, we are sharing important information and reminders regarding school transportation.
- Starting the School Year: School bus route pick-up and drop-off times may be delayed as the school year begins.
We appreciate your patience with our drivers — the first week of school can bring unexpected delays as new traffic patterns develop. Our drivers are often learning new routes and students may be riding a bus for the first time. For the first few days of school, we anticipate the possibility of delays.
We are also experiencing some situational challenges with local construction this month.
In general, route times and processes should improve each day as routines become more familiar.
- Staying Updated: We are committed to keeping you updated regarding ETA changes in bus transportation. Whenever there is anticipated delay, we will work to communicate that information promptly via email and/or text notification.
- Route Information and Safety Reminders: Our transportation web page includes a route finder and safety tips for riding the school bus.
- Working Together: During pick-up and drop-off times at schools, please be mindful of school buses entering and leaving school parking lots.
Schools throughout our district have various pick-up/drop-off logistical layouts, which can create congestion points.
When driving or parking at your school, please ensure buses are able to enter and leave school facilities to allow for routes to remain on time.
If you are able, we encourage you to have your child ride the bus. This allows for less traffic in and out of our school parking lots.
- Staffing Shortage: The national school bus driver staffing shortage is impacting our district as well. Our bus drivers and staff are doing their very best while we work with fewer bus driving staff and substitutes than past school years.
If you or someone you know may be interested in becoming a bus driver, paid training is provided and no experience is necessary. Visit psd401.net/jobs for more information.
The safety of our students is our top priority and we appreciate your understanding as we work to make our transportation more efficient.