Accounts Payable Specialist – Lead
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST – LEAD
This position provides lead direction for the district’s accounts payable process. Responsibilities include reviewing approved purchase orders for correct coding, encumbrance and reporting; processing invoices for payment, maintaining vendor files, filing IRS-required reports, and developing procedures for effective accounts payable processing.
Reports to Director of Finance. Provides lead direction to Accounts Payable Specialist.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the receipt, auditing, date stamping and routing of incoming invoices, billings, statements and claims for district funds. Reviews approved purchase orders; ensures that purchase orders are coded correctly and that encumbrances and proper reporting are completed. Monitors and adjusts accounting codes and dollar amounts as needed. Orders and reviews purchase order reports; makes adjustments and cancellations as required.
- Obtains authorization from appropriate personnel to pay invoices received; prepares input for invoice processing; maintains and reviews reports and vouchers.
- Orders, receives, prepares and routes warrants for payment; maintains files; mails warrants; prepares and routes items for district courier delivery; forwards reports to County Treasurer by deadline.
- Maintains vendor files; adds, deletes and changes vendor addresses and names. Conducts annual review of vendor file to determine if changes should be made; ensures that records are current and correct.
- Reviews and maintains files for personal service contracts and recurring monthly obligations such as the district’s VISA account, gasoline credit cards, lease and land payments, employee car allowances, etc. Verifies legitimacy of claims; obtains receipts and assigns accounting codes; processes for payment.
- Reconciles vendor statements on a monthly basis; conducts research of district and/or vendor records as needed to correct errors; obtains missing invoices. Researches and reviews district accounts for duplicate payments.
- Maintains payment records of payments for items qualifying as inventory; maintains records for expenditures that should be credited to prior year. Reviews coding at fiscal year end to facilitate proper accounting.
- Maintains Department of Revenue accounting manual; maintains current knowledge of requirements concerning sales tax, excise tax and compensating tax regulations.
- Files necessary reports with Internal Revenue Service for allowable refunds or overpayments. Ensures that monthly state compensating tax reports are filed in an accurate and timely manner. Makes adjustments to state compensating tax records and payments as needed.
- Reviews and audits ASB fund payments and input from Transportation and Maintenance Departments. Processes approved input for payment; returns inappropriate items for correction. Answers questions concerning ASB fund payments.
- Reviews Capital Projects Fund input for completeness and accuracy; selects descriptive phrases for input to computer. Processes approved input for payment; orders required reports and answers questions of staff and vendors concerning payments.
- Sets up and maintains accounts payable controls in computer, utilizing tables prescribed by Educational Service District. Provides lead direction to accounts payable specialist regarding computer input and account processing procedures.
- Orders monthly reports and board documents, such as warrants and voucher registers, vendor lists and purchase order reports. Files annual 1099 form reports; maintains records.
- Responds to inquiries or complaints from vendors or employees concerning accounts payable processing. Composes, formats and types correspondence and reports for response to vendor or as needed by supervisor.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; required to meet deadlines; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Covered
Education & Experience:
High school graduation or equivalent with training in accounting or bookkeeping and four years of increasingly responsible bookkeeping experience, including one year of accounts payable experience. School district accounts payable experience preferred.
Advanced technical training in accounting or bookkeeping procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of accounts payable processing.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to operate a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Ability to operate a microcomputer and specific software programs.
- Ability to set up and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to learn district and state procedures concerning accounts payable.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and vendors.