General Maintenance Technician
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
GENERAL MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
The maintenance technician position is responsible for performing minor building, plumbing, electrical and painting repairs as necessary of District owned and leased buildings. Employees are expected to complete projects safely and within established time frames.
Reports to Maintenance Foreman
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works in one or more building trades (general construction, electrical, plumbing, locks and keys) to keep District owned or leased buildings in safe and operable conditions.
- Orders and procures supplies, equipment, parts and tools for the purpose of ensuring adequate materials are available to complete assignments in a timely manner. Verifies orders upon arrival.
- Repairs furniture, floors, roofs, floor tiles, cabinets, ceilings, walls, electrical, plumbing, etc. for the purpose of ensuring the safe and efficient utilization of space.
- Responds to emergency situations, sometimes outside of their normal classification, for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Transports materials, supplies and equipment, to and from job sites, to complete tasks.
- Prepares and completes accurate records, both manual and computerized, on building or equipment repairs and system modifications. Ensuring work done meets Local, State and Federal requirements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing ladders and standing for prolonged periods. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Works outside in all weather conditions, heights and in enclosed spaces with limited access. Occasionally works overtime, including weekends. Has the ability to problem solve, use creative thinking, promote creative solutions, understand and carry out oral and written instructions, establish priorities and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Assists other personnel and trades, as may be required, for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Ensures work vehicle and shop are maintained properly.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Maintenance/Grounds
Education and Experience
- High School Graduation or GED Certificate
- Three years minimum documented work experience in one or more of the building trades
- Ability to perform as a journeyman in one or more of the building trades
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current building and fire codes
- Ability to use power tools, hand tools, and test equipment
- Ability to use electrical and gas welders or brazing equipment
- Skilled in interpreting plans/blueprints
- Ability to perform basic math
- Basic computer knowledge (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
- First Aid/CPR Certificate (District will provide opportunities)
- May be asked to obtain CDL License and evidence of insurability