Para-Educator – Elementary LAP
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
PARA-EDUCATOR – ELEMENTARY LAP
This position assists a certificated teacher or other staff member with instructional activities for students in additional intervention in and out of the classroom. Responsibilities include tutoring students, correcting classroom work, monitoring student behavior, adapting curriculum (under the guidance of the teacher and preparing classroom materials. Depending upon individual assignment, duties may also include clerical work such as typing and duplicating materials, supervising students, and providing basic first aid.
Reports to Principal; receives work assignments from classroom or resource room teacher.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tutors students individually or in small groups in a variety of learning activities assigned by the teacher; promotes student understanding of materials presented. Reinforces and reviews concepts and skills.
- Assists teacher in maintaining student records.
- Types, duplicates, collates and distributes classroom materials and projects. May operate a variety of office equipment (i.e. laminator, copier).
- Assists teacher in supporting and monitoring student behavior and collaborates with teacher to implement positive behavior support strategies.
- Assists teacher in maintaining classroom physical appearance, including creating posters, charts, and bulletin board displays.
- Administers and scores diagnostic tests; gives oral and written exams to students. Assists in completing special program forms; assembles student materials for confidential files.
- May utilize technology to maintain various databases and prepare reports and lists.
- May assist teacher/department to order and stock office and classroom supplies.
- Maintains student records including attendance; graphs data, compiles grading information, scoring etc. and may prepare student progress information for teachers.
- Assists classroom teacher in preparing instructional materials, quizzes, teaching aids and review sheets.
- May be called upon to provide basic first aid care to ill or injured students. Alerts school office staff if further action is needed.
- May be required to perform health services including, but not limited to, clean intermittent catheterization (CIC); gastrointestinal tube feeding using a pump or gravity; administration of oral medication by mouth, feeding tube, inhaler, or nebulizer; use of a magnet over a vagus nerve stimulator (VNS) to control seizures; oral suctioning using a bulb syringe or suction machine; provision of a cough-assist procedure; administration of emergency medication using an auto-injector; administration of oxygen; and ostomy care.
- Acts as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behavior to students; assists teacher in maintaining a classroom culture conducive to learning.
- Communicates and collaborates with teacher concerning individual student progress or concerns; gather materials/data to assist teacher in intervention progress; provides input for student progress reports. Assists with data collection and record keeping.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Experiences frequent interruptions; clerical work requires dexterity and precision. Requires ability to multitask while working with multiple students in multiple subjects. Requires flexibility due to frequent shifts in focus between assignments. Requires ability to work with students who may be assaultive disruptive, angry and otherwise behaviorally challenged. Exposed to infectious diseases carried by students. May be exposed to various work conditions involving safety hazards such as lab chemicals and small tools and/or machinery. May be required to work outdoors in inclement weather.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and experience in working with school-aged individuals. Experience in a school setting desirable. Passing scores on the District Skills Test. Must have passing scores on the Para Pro Test or Associates degree and/or Bachelor’s degree.
Allowable Substitution – None.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic subject areas for high school level curriculum, such as English 9-12, writing, reading, sciences, and arithmetic (algebra).
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- De-escalation and behavior modification strategies.
- Keyboarding skill.
- Proficiency in Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PPT).
- Skill in multitasking and organizing activities.
- Ability to use chromebook, google chrome and various software programs.
- Ability to deal with students in a calm, consistent and caring manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate files and records.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to organize tasks and set priorities within established parameters.
- Ability to remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations.
- Ability to organize activities.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to be fair and consistent when working with students.
- Ability to learn the operations of general office machines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, and parents.
Must complete training in first aid and CPR training.