Emergency Weather Procedures
Outlined below are the Peninsula School District’s procedures and expectations during inclement weather and school closures. Below you will find guidelines to make this process easier for you and also to help you understand how weather decisions
2020-2021 School Year Inclement Weather Notice Letter
Note: Our annual weather notice letter was sent in November 2020. On Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2021, we sent an additional message to our PSD community regarding plans for altering school day schedules due to inclement weather:
Unlike a normal school year, due the complexities of our multiple learning platforms, we will not exercise a late start option and will only call snow days. If a snow day is announced, meal sites will be closed and meal routes will not run.
The letter below was sent to the Peninsula School District Community on Nov.19, 2020
Making a Thoughtful Decision
Weather information is reviewedthe day and night prior to the decision. A review with our transportation department and neighboring districts is also done.
- Starting at 3:00 a.m. or sooner, district officials and the transportation department drive emergency bus routes throughout the District’s 120 square miles.
- The District may
choose tooperate on a normal schedule, have a late start, or close entirely.
- A decision to alter the school day in any way due to inclement weather will apply to both in-person students/staff and remote students/staff.
- Late starts allow us:
- Time to monitor and adjust decisions to changing conditions
- To provide the safety of daylight for students and transportation personnel
- Additional time for Peninsula School District staff to arrive to work
- Time for transportation to further critique snow routes and make necessary adjustments or modifications
SchoolMessenger® System: notifies all staff and parents within 30 minutes by phone
- Peninsula School District Website: psd401
- Peninsula School District Emergency Information Line: (253) 530-1088
- Local TV and radio stations
- KGHP (District radio station): 89.3FM, 89.9FM, 105.7FM; or,
- Emergency bus route information is available in school offices and also on the Peninsula School District website under “About Us; then Transportation”
- You may also subscribe to
FlashAlertwhich will automatically send you an email notifying you of any delays or closures that are posted. To subscribe go to: flashalert .net
Again, please remember the District has a large geographical size and weather