CAPE - Career & Pathway Expo
CAPE– Connecting Super Girls with Super Mentors through STEM
Career and Pathway Expo Career and Pathway Expo (CAPE) is an event that engages and promotes 6th through 8th-grade females in STEM pathways. A group of 250 girls representing all four middle schools in the Peninsula School District will gather in a conference style to learn more about careers in STEM.
The event includes a motivational keynote speaker and an Expo with teachers showcasing Science and Math core classes, CTE electives, and club opportunities. The final portion of the day features a community outreach event with breakout workshops led by female industry leaders in non-traditional fields, for example, suturing with surgeons on fruit and testing LEGO towers on a shake table with a structural engineer.
We look forward to bringing this event back to our students in the 2021-2022 school year.
Sample of Career Workshops
• Design and test a building model on a shake table with structural engineers
• Play with coding to unlock all of the careers in gaming, design & programming with a computer scientist
• Take a mini field trip with project managers to get a sense of their exciting and versatile career
Medical/Health Sciences Sessions:
• Scrub into a heart repair simulation with an endovascular surgeon
• Find a baby’s heartbeat on a pregnant patient using a fetal Doppler machine
• Practice bringing a baby back to life with infant resuscitation techniques on medical mannequins
Animal Sciences Sessions:
• Create a water filtration system with instructions from marine biologists
• Get to play veterinarian for a session using their instruments to examine an animal
• Save the world, one species at a time, in an endangered species class