TCC Fresh Start Open Doors Program
What is Fresh Start?
TCC Gig Harbor and Peninsula School District have an Open Doors partnership as an option to help re-engage our students in school. Students earn high school credit and college credit with the goal of earning a high school diploma as well as an Associate’s Degree. Courses are held on the Tacoma Community College Gig Harbor campus.
TCC Fresh Start Advisor for Peninsula School District
Tacoma Community College - Bldg. 19, Room 34 TCC, Gig Harbor Campus
Who is eligible?
- Students between the ages of 16 to 21(as of September 1)
- Students who have not received their high school diploma (can have GED)
- No minimum credit requirement for admission
Process to participate in Fresh Start:
Students meet eligibility criteria listed above, have dropped out of school, or are referred by a counselor
Students will be referred to PSD’s Fresh Start program advisor Jeremy Stockcamp or students can contact Jeremy directly. firstname.lastname@example.org, 253-460-2384
Students will attend TCC-Gig Harbor Fresh Start Information Session before pursuing the program. Info session dates for TCC Gig Harbor can be found here.
If interested in pursuing the program, students must complete the following with TCC before classes begin:
- Complete intake essay for the purpose of getting to know the students
- Apply to TCC online to generate their own ID number
- Take math and English placement tests for placement (ALEKS for math, DSP for English) which are free to the students.
- One-on-one interview with retention specialist (advisor Jeremy Stockcamp).
- Program advisor, (Jeremy Stockamp) will place them in their classes. First classes include Fresh Start 100 (College Success, soft skills, financial literacy, services available at the college) and English 85 or 95 based on where they are placed on the assessment.
- Attend a three hour orientation (virtual for now) which includes how to log in, tutoring resources, introduction to case manager, mental health services, housing options, and what is required of them in the program.
- Enroll or re-enroll with Peninsula School District.