Bookkeeper – High School
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: High School
This position maintains Associated Student Body (ASB) and Lump Sum Budget (LSB) accounts. The position receives student and school monies, processes purchase orders, reconciles bank statements and handles related accounting transactions. The position provides information concerning bookkeeping procedures to students and staff and communicates with vendors.
Reports to Principal or other assigned school administrator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives, writes receipts for, counts and verifies money for various activities. Prepares deposit slips and takes deposit to bank.
- Writes checks, requisitions and purchase orders; obtains appropriate signatures. Prepares change boxes for student activities; accounts for monies.
- Maintains multiple checking accounts; reconciles accounts with bank statements; submits documentation for reimbursement. Maintains and reconciles other fund accounts; records cash received and issues receipts; counts money. Reconciles budget printouts received from district’s Central Accounting Department.
- Maintains ASB and LSB accounting records; post receipts and expenditures to proper accounts; prepares a variety of reports. May maintain records on computer.
- Maintains student financial records. Receives and posts fines and fee payments; sends letters concerning fines owed.
- Responds to telephone inquiries concerning ASB, LSB, and other account matters. Receives and responds to written requests. Meets with auditors as necessary to provide records, information and explanations. Works with student advisors; communicates ASB and LSB procedures.
- Acts as custodial of office petty cash fund; maintains accounting records for general building budget as assigned.
- Ensures that accounting procedures as established by the district are followed. Maintains financial records according to required retention schedules.
- Assists administrators to prepare ASB and LSB fund annual budgets.
- Communicates with vendors concerning purchase orders; receives supplies and verifies against purchase orders; processes invoices for payment.
- Provides other clerical support, such as coordinating the annual KCDA order, selling tickets for student activities, administering first aid in the absence of the school nurse, providing backup assistance to the Office Manager, and duplicating copies.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Experiences frequent interruptions. Required to lift and carry heavy supplies or bags of coins. Transportation of money to bank requires security awareness.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in bookkeeping and three years of clerical experience, including two years experience in bookkeeping.
Alternative combinations of advanced training and experience will be evaluated by the Personnel Office for comparability.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accounting ledgers.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Ability to learn district and state ASB and lump sum bookkeeping procedures.
- Ability to learn the use of a microcomputer and various software programs.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff and the general public.