Business Services Manager
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
BUSINESS SERVICES MANAGER
This position manages the accounting and business functions of the district to provide the best possible educational services with the financial resources available. Position manages accounting and budgeting systems which are ethical, accountable and responsive to the informational needs within the district and to the community.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer
- Responsible for detail budget development and maintaining budget updates for all district funds for the purpose of meeting State and Federal budgeting requirements.
- Monitors expenditures ensuring budgets and transactions are within assigned allocations and follows state and/or federal rules and regulations for the purpose of managing a budget control system.
- Manages and coordinates district accounting functions for the purpose of adequately recording in detail all financial transactions within all district funds as directed in the State Accounting Manual in order to meet generally accepted accounting principles.
- Supervises the collection, safekeeping and distribution of all funds for the purpose of ensuring that proper cash management systems and controls are in place.
- Manages monthly investments for the purpose of maintaining and promoting positive investment earnings from district financial resources available.
- Performs monthly reconciliations of general ledger accounts to ensure accurate balances for the purpose of monitoring and maintaining positive internal controls over daily accounting functions.
- Provides support for internal and external auditing of all district accounts for the purpose of maintaining proper state and federal compliance relating to financial accountability for all district funds.
- Provides training and support to school/department personnel for the purpose of ensuring compliance with state and federal accounting regulations, district policy and procedures, and business services functions.
- Prepares monthly and annual financial reports for the Board of Directors for the purpose of providing standardized financial reporting of district financial activities as directed by the state accounting manual and state laws.
- Provides financial and budget information through various presentations to the Board of Directors and other groups, as needed, for the purpose of promoting financial accountability of the district in a transparent way.
- Assists with updating, recommending new, and maintaining and implementing district policies and procedures for the purpose of improving business practices or creating compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintains consistent presence at assigned worksite and regularly work hours specified under contract.
- Professionally interacts with Students, Staff, and Members of the Public.
- Complies with all District policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including utilizing pertinent software applications; planning and managing multiple projects; developing and administering budgets; and developing effective working relationships.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform higher level math; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: educational systems/Washington State K-12 System including appropriate statutes and regulation; generally accepted accounting procedures for Washington State and federal government; excellent oral and written communications; organizational and time management; conflict resolution skills; policies, regulations and/or laws; and current and developing technology.
ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing a variety of complex processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment. Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is significant. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; flexibility to changing conditions; making quick and accurate decisions; working with multiple projects; dealing with frequent interruptions and changing priorities; maintaining confidentiality; and facilitating communication between individuals with frequently divergent positions. Attending evening and weekend meetings, retreats, trainings and conferences is expected.
Responsibilities include: working independently under broad organizational guidelines to achieve unit objectives; managing major organizational components; and supervising the use of funds for multiple departments. Utilization of significant resources from other work units is routinely required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking, and 25% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Four years of increasingly responsible experience in business or financial management, including accounting, finance, treasury and budget responsibilities, with a minimum of two years in a supervisory role. Knowledge of school district accounting and principles required.
BA/BS degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or closely related field.
Equivalency AA degree in Accounting and two years of experience in accounting, treasury or fiscal management.
Certificates & Licenses
Valid Driver’s License & Evidence of Insurability
Certified Public Accountant license preferred
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Business Services Manager