Clerk Typist – Secondary
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLERK/TYPIST – SECONDARY SCHOOLS
This position provides clerical support for the secondary front office. Responsibilities include answering the telephone and greeting office visitors, word processing, filing, duplicating and distributing information, and performing a variety of other clerical duties. Communicates with staff and the public.
Reports to Principal and/or Assistant Principal and Office Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers telephone calls; provides information to caller or routes to appropriate staff member; takes messages. Greets and assists office visitors.
- Types documents concerning school information for student and parents – ie newsletters, correspondence, etc.
- Uses word processing equipment to type correspondence, forms, and memoranda; proofreads products. Submits various reports to OSPI, school district and other agencies.
- Duplicates information on photocopying equipment; answers staff questions concerning equipment operation. Performs minor photocopy machine maintenance such as adding ink and general cleaning; alerts office manager if service is needed.
- Utilizes Power School to look up student records to assist parents.
- May supervise students who come to the office; monitors behavior. May provide backup assistance for the office staff and backup assistance in providing first aid care to students in the absence of the school nurse.
- Types reports for safety and employee accident and injury reporting. Receives and summarizes information, prepares reports for submittal to a variety of agencies while maintaining confidentiality.
- Receives, screens, sorts, date stamps and routes incoming mail.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; requires dexterity and precision. Experiences frequent interruptions.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and three years of clerical training or experience, including greeting the public. School district experience desirable.
Advanced technical training in clerical procedures may substitute on a month-to-month basis for the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of general clerical procedures.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skills in operating general office equipment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn the use of microcomputer and various software packages.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to file information accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public.