Grounds Maintenance Foreman
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
GROUNDS MAINTENANCE FOREMAN
The Grounds Foreman position plans, schedules, supervises, and maintains the Peninsula School District grounds at the highest level of care. The Grounds Foreman shall assign and delegate work order assignments and ensure that they are completed in a safe, proper, and timely manner. It is also the responsibility of the Grounds Foreman to respond to and handle after-hours emergencies as needed and/or as directed by supervisor. The Grounds Foreman shall also be expected to perform the same duties as a Grounds Technician as well perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to Maintenance/Grounds Supervisor
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Oversee work and conduct of all Grounds Maintenance employees, including training and assistance; Monitor shift start times, break times, and shift end times of all Grounds Maintenance staff; Conduct safety training and staff meetings in conjunction with supervisor. Prepare written reports for the purpose of documenting activities and meeting District, local, state and federal agency requirements.
- Assign work orders in an effective manner to maximize efficiency; Fill-in to complete work assignments when required; Respond to emergency situations and handle as appropriate.
- Ensure proper and safe use of all tools and equipment; oversees the chemical applications to all District grounds.
- Investigate concerns from building administrators and staff; Receive calls and report status of work orders to keep supervisor & school staff (i.e. principal, office manager, head custodian, teacher) updated on completion; Investigate work orders as requested by supervisor; Work collaboratively with school staff to complete work in a timely manner that will minimize disruption to the learning environment.
- Keep supervisor up to date on all pertinent activities of Grounds Maintenance operations.
- Assist with planning and coordinate projects as needed; Plan and coordinate minor construction projects with outside contractors.
- Assist other trades as needed for the purpose of meeting demands and completing projects.
- Repair and monitor the operation of irrigation systems including pumps, controllers, pipes and wiring systems. Coordinates irrigation system projects involving other Grounds/Maintenance staff and contractors.
- Maintain and repair all Grounds Maintenance equipment as necessary; Ensure that shops, vehicles, and yard areas are kept neat, clean, and locked at the end of the day.
- Maintain District playground equipment, athletic fields, and playfields to ensure student safety.
- Order, pick up, and deliver supplies as needed utilizing the courier when possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required to travel between work-sites, work and stand for prolonged periods of time; ability to lift and/or carry heavy supplies and equipment; required to work around machinery with moving parts; required to wear protective gear and/or clothing and work outdoors in inclement weather; exposure to high noise levels, risk of bodily injury from mechanical parts and dangerous equipment, and occasional exposure to fumes, odors, and hazardous chemicals. Physical requirements include sitting, standing, walking, climbing/ladders, squatting/kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing/pulling, twisting/bending, communicating, conveying, identifying, detecting, observing, inspecting and exchanging information; must be safety conscious; must respond to emergency calls after work hours.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Maintenance, Grounds, Warehouse #624
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education, Experience & Special Requirements:
- High School graduation or equivalent; Three (3) years of progressively responsible Grounds Maintenance trade experience with knowledge of tools and equipment-preferably experience in a lead capacity.
- Valid WA State Driver’s License required.
- Recommended candidate must obtain (and maintain throughout employment) the following licenses/certifications within 90 days of hire:
- Class-A Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- WSDA Pesticide Applicator License within 90 days of hire.
- Forklift and Boom Truck Certifications
- Willingness to complete First Aid & CPR training and certification
- Recommended candidate will be required to complete a drug/alcohol screening and pre- employment physical assessment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to lead, direct, motivate, train and inspire workers in a positive manner with a “can do”, “get it done” attitude; ability to conduct oneself in a manner that represents the values and roles one would expect with this position.
- Demonstrated ability in estimating, planning, organizing, and implementing Grounds Maintenance and/or related projects; ability to problem solve, using innovative thinking to promote creative solutions.
- Ability to communicate and interact with co-workers, District staff and the public in a positive manner; ability to be entrusted with information and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability and skill in operating all Grounds Maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, mowers, chainsaws, chippers, weed-eaters, tillers, edgers, blowers, sprayers, welding equipment, basic hand and power tools; additional skilled ability operating heavy equipment such as tractors and implements, snow plows, dump trucks, back hoes and loaders.
- Ability to lift and/or carry 50 pounds in a single action.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions, write reports and be proficient in basic computer skills including MS Office programs, Google Drive applications, etc.
- Ability to concentrate on detailed work.
- Knowledge of grass and field turf management practices.
- Knowledge of various grass seeds, fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
- Knowledge and skill to detect and treat various insects, pests, fungi, and diseases that affect the grounds and turf.
- Knowledge and skill to maintain artificial turfs.
- Knowledge and skill to utilize athletic field marking and lining equipment.
- Knowledge and skill to maintain and repair irrigation systems and drainage systems, including sewer and storm water.
- Knowledge of and skill to implement safety practices and procedures.
- Willingness to learn new skills.