Library Assistant – Elementary & Secondary
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LIBRARY ASSISTANT – ELEMENTARY & SECONDARY
This position assists a school librarian with daily library operations. Responsibilities include processing new materials, checking books in and out, maintaining library records, and assisting students and staff in research, reference, and assignments.
Reports to Coordinator of Information Services. Receives work assignments from school librarian or library technician.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors student behavior in the library. Answers questions and provides information concerning library resources; assists students in locating and accessing materials and topics for research, reference, and assignments.
- Monitors library files; types correspondence and forms.
- Monitors work of student library assistants and/or volunteers; trains assistants in basic library procedures; reviews work.
- Maintains card catalog; files and/or pulls cards.
- Tutors students in the computer use procedures; provides information and answers questions; may oversee use of photocopying equipment.
- Processes new books and materials; inserts pockets and cards; may stamp ownership markings. Types replacement cards as needed. Repairs books; prepares books and materials for discard.
- Types orders for books, magazines, and other library materials. Receives and verifies orders; maintains records. Keeps staff and students informed of new resources.
- Maintains audio-visual materials; receives and distributes films and tapes; follows up to ensure timely return as needed. Troubleshoots problems with audio-visual equipment; replaces bulbs; calls for service as needed. Checks out audio-visual equipment.
- Checks books and other library materials in and out; shelves materials. Prepares overdue notices and correspondence. Collects fees and writes receipts for overdue payments. Assists in taking periodic inventory of books and materials; maintains inventory records. Enters library material information on computer.
- Assists librarian or library technician in maintaining physical appearance of library; picks up litter and straightens chairs. Sets up displays; creates bulletin boards.
- Organizes activities for special library projects, such as used book drives.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Experiences frequent interruptions.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in library procedures and two years of clerical experience. Library and/or classroom experience preferred.
Advanced technical training in library procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to monitor student behavior.
- Ability to deal with elementary or secondary school students in a caring and confident manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to learn the operation of audio-visual equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and staff.
- Knowledge of general clerical procedures.
- Knowledge of basic library procedures; ability to learn specific processes.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic microcomputer operations and ability to learn the operation of specific software programs.