Library Assistant - High School
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LIBRARY ASSISTANT – HIGH SCHOOL
This position assists a school librarian with daily library operations. Responsibilities include processing new materials, checking books in and out, maintaining library records, and assisting students and staff in research, reference, and assignments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors student behavior in the library. Answers questions and provides information concerning library resources; assists students in locating and accessing materials and topics for research, reference, and assignments.
- Monitors library files; types correspondence and forms.
- Monitors work of student library assistants and/or volunteers; trains assistants in basic library procedures; reviews work.
- Maintains card catalog; using computerized library system.
- Tutors students in the computer use procedures; provides information and answers questions.
- Types orders for books, magazines, and other library materials. Receives and verifies orders; maintains records. Keeps staff and students informed of new resources.
- Maintains and troubleshoots problems with building technology; calls for service as needed. Checks in & out technology.
- Checks books and other library materials in and out; shelves materials. Prepares overdue notices and correspondence. Assists in taking periodic inventory of books and materials; maintains inventory records. Enters library material information on computer.
- Assists librarian in maintaining physical appearance of library; picks up litter and straightens chairs. Sets up displays; creates bulletin boards.
- Organizes activities for special library projects.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Receives work assignments from school librarian.
Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Experiences constant interruptions.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in library procedures and two years of clerical experience. Library and/or classroom experience preferred. Passing scores of the District Skills Test.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong computer skills in various software packages.
- Ability to monitor student behavior.
- Ability to deal with school students in a caring and confident manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to learn the operation of computer and technology.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and staff.
- Knowledge of general clerical procedures.
- Knowledge of basic library procedures; ability to learn specific processes.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic microcomputer operations and ability to learn the operation of specific software programs.
- Ability to lift boxes weighing thirty pounds.