Maintenance Technician – Electrician
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN – ELECTRICIAN
This position entails maintaining electrical services and devices throughout the district. Responsibilities include installing electrical wiring systems and fixtures and troubleshooting problems with electrical systems.
Reports to Maintenance Foreman
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives work orders concerning electrical systems; responds immediately to emergency telephone calls concerning electrical problems.
- Installs new high and low voltage power circuits and lighting systems; installs and moves power cables; runs conduit and pulls wire in accordance with National Electric codes.
- Relocates lights, switches, and receptacles; ensures that devices are working properly on completion of project. Replaces bulbs in outside lights.
- Repair fluorescent and other lighting fixtures; repairs switches and outlets that are malfunctioning. Troubleshoots problems with electrical devices.
- Determine sizes of conduits and wires; selects appropriate equipment for electrical installations. Ensures safety of electrical installations.
- Monitors power levels to electrical circuits; ensures that circuits will not be overloaded and cause a hazard. Ensures proper grounding of electricity.
- Order electrical parts and supplies; communicates with vendors concerning types and availability of items.
- Completes all tasks with high standards of quality and appearance. Performs tasks with efficiency and organization.
- Assists in training other staff in electrical techniques as required to improve department skill level.
- Perform preventative maintenance on all electrical hardware and systems.
- Ensures safety of electrical installations.
- Communicates with district staff concerning electrical problems. Works with other maintenance department staff on projects involving electrical needs. Ensures that electrical projects are inspected by State agencies as required by law.
- Able to perform other general maintenance projects as requested including but not limited to painting, wall repair, plumbing and carpentry. Assists in fabricating equipment and materials.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires visual concentration, dexterity, and precision. Required to lift and carry heavy objects; required to stand for prolonged periods; required to work at heights; exposed to danger to physical safety when working with high voltage panels. Occasionally required to wear protective clothing. On call for electrical emergencies. Requires travel between work sites. Willing to be added to the weekend duty roster after 6 months of employment.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Maintenance/Grounds
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience as an electrician.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of technical aspects of electrical installation and maintenance.
- Familiarity with electrical codes.
- Familiarity with electrically-operated equipment and machinery.
- Skill in bending conduit.
- Skill in troubleshooting electrical problems.
- Skill in reading blueprints.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide electrical training to others.
- Ability to follow safety procedures and ensure safe installations.
- Ability to learn the use of computers and various software programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and vendors.
Valid Washington State driver’s license; willing to complete training in first aid and CPR as required by the District. Will be asked to complete Pre-Employment Physical.