Para-Educator – Family Support & Health Care Assistant
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
PARAEDUCATOR – FAMILY SUPPORT AND HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT – ECEAP
This position assists the Family Support Specialist in providing support and community service resources to low-income preschool students and their families who are eligible for the Early Childhood Education Assistance Program.
Reports to Family Support Specialist
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets and interacts with parents and children in the preschool classroom; exchanges information concerning children with parents.
- Assists Family Support Specialist with ECEAP paperwork, including family goal planning and health and immunization records.
- Supports classroom activities with Lead Teacher and Teacher Assistant.
- Maintains program records; documents daily activities and communicates regularly with Family Support Specialist.
- Gathers materials/resources for projects and activities.
- Assists Family Support Specialist and Lead Teacher with health/nutrition instruction.
- Duplicates and laminates materials.
- Interacts with children; monitors physical health, nutrition, and emotional needs. Changes diapers and/or clothes as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in elementary schools, out in the community and in the homes of families. May need to lift and or assist children with self-care needs.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
Twelve college quarter credits in public health, health education, family support, nursing or related. High school diploma. Passing scores on the District Skills Test. Must have passing scores on the Para Pro Test or Associates degree and or Bachelor’s degree.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of early childhood development.
- Knowledge of health or health education.
- Keyboarding skill.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to deal with families in a caring manner.
- Ability to remain flexible.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to organize activities.
- Ability to properly lift and carry children weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to plan daily activities.
- Ability to operate general office machines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and parents.
Must obtain training in first aid and CPR as required by the ECEAP program.