PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Educational Service Center
Position responsibilities include contract calculations, annual contract maintenance, hourly rates of pay, time sheets, sick leave, vacation leave, employee benefits, retirement contributions, direct deposit of warrants, researching past pay records to provide information to the retirement system or employees, any other deductions related to pay and a commitment to customer service.
Reports to the Payroll Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Calculate and enter data into the payroll system from time sheets, personnel actions forms, employee status sheets or lists; verifies accuracy of information; ensures that correct pay warrants for both certificated and classified staff are generated.
- Provides information to Supervisor, other payroll staff and employees from computer records.
- Verifies computer generated payroll records; files computer records.
- Checks, prepares and inputs information to facilitate direct deposit of employee warrants to a banking institution; resolves problems with individual employee direct deposit transactions; enrolls employees for direct deposit.
- Researches historical payroll information to determine hours worked and compensation paid to individual employees; provides information to retirement system personnel. Ensures that data provided is correct; arranges data into required format; answers questions concerning data provided.
- Answers the telephone; provides assistance or routes caller to appropriate staff member.
- Generates reports from computer records; clarifies type of information needed by requestor; ensures accuracy.
- Provides assistance to staff members in preparing monthly time sheets; verifies rates of pay; verify accounting code accuracy. Prepare staffing reports for building as needed.
- Enrolling new employees for benefit packages and update employee benefit change requests.
- Prepares billings for benefit vendors monthly.
- Files personnel action forms and related information in individual employee files; checks records for previous employment with school districts.
- Assist in the preparation of W-2’s and various withholding and taxation records and reports; ensure the reporting of payroll deductions made and transmittal of funds to deduction agencies.
- Provide benefits fair for employees and open enrollment. Performs benefit seminar for new employees in August.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences interruptions; required to meet inflexible deadlines; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision. Occasionally required to lift and/or carry heavy boxes of paper.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent. Three years of clerical experience in bookkeeping and data entry. School district payroll experience desirable.
Advanced technical training in bookkeeping or payroll procedures may substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of clerical practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and payroll procedures.
- Proficient in keyboarding and 10-key skills by touch.
- Ability to operate a variety of offices machines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate a computer and use of various software programs (i.e. Excel, Word).
- Ability to maintain accurate records and mathematical computations.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff and the public.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.