PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
This position operates a high-speed printing press, photocopier and other equipment in the district’s print shop. Responsibilities include printing a variety of district forms, reports, and brochures; invoicing users for Print Shop services; maintaining Print Shop equipment and ordering supplies.
Reports to Director of Business Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives Print Shop work orders; verifies order for completeness and authorizing signatures; determines priorities for printing and develops work schedules to meet specified time lines. Reviews document masters; determines the type of printing that is appropriate for the job based on production specifications and quantity requested.
- Operates high-speed printing press. Adjusts machine settings; monitors printing equipment during operation; clears paper jams. Operates smaller copying machines as needed.
- Cleans ink from press after use; runs cleaning sheets through equipment; removes and washes ink rollers.
- Monitors quality of printed documents; troubleshoots equipment malfunctions and performs minor repairs. Calls for service as needed. Performs layout and paste-up duties as required; operates bindery equipment such as collators, folding, stapling, and cutting equipment to assemble printed documents.
- Orders Print Shop supplies. Maintains supplies; shelves paper stock and chemicals. Cleans up spills and loose papers; maintains neat work area.
- Advises staff on the type and availability of print services; provides information on costs involved; makes recommendations on processes and materials.
- Prepares and packages final work for pickup and delivery.
- Invoices users of Print Shop services; maintains Print Shop production records. Assists in the development of the annual Print Shop budget.
- Oversees work of student assistants; trains students in operation of Print Shop equipment; assigns and reviews tasks.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Required to stand for prolonged periods; required to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. Exposed to high noise levels from equipment. Exposed to hazardous chemicals used in printing process. Operation of equipment with moving parts requires safety awareness. Required to meet inflexible deadlines.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with technical training in printing press operation and two years of printing experience.
Completion of sufficient training to acquire a vocational certificate may substitute for the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of off-set printing press operating procedures.
- Skill in operating a variety of photocopying and duplicating equipment.
- Skill in operating bindery equipment.
- Skill in troubleshooting equipment problems and making minor repairs.
- Ability to detect errors in typewritten copy.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet inflexible deadlines.
- Ability to complete layout and paste-up work.
- Ability to operate graphic arts equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.