Secretary – Technical Services
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Technical Services
This position coordinates and supports the management of the daily operations of the Technical Services Department. The position serves as the administrative assistant to the Technology Director and other department staff as well as providing various support services for staff and the public. The position promotes positive public relations for the school district.
Reports to Technology Director. Provides lead direction to office clerical unit staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the daily operations of the Technical Services central office and manages all clerical functions within the department. Answers the telephone and responds to inquiries; screens calls for Technical Services personnel.
- Provides support for the Student Database Administrator, Online Coordinator, Office Managers, Registrars and other personnel with student enrollment, scheduling, posting historical grades in PowerSchool as well as supporting software-based programs such as Microsoft Office, Email, Google Apps, etc. used within the district.
- Working with the District’s Online Coordinator as the district’s main point of contact and registrar. Perform all district online program duties for enrollment, scheduling, grading, state reporting and posting of historical grades. Schedules orientations, parent conferences and other meetings as necessary. Assembles data and creates reports for the online coordinator; assists the Business Office for online Student FTE, notifies Counselors regarding student status and progress and support meaningful parent communications.
- Provides secretarial assistance to the Technology Director, the Supervisor of Technical Support and other staff as assigned; maintains appointment calendar and schedules meetings. Compiles data and prepares reports and lists. Formats and types correspondence, forms, memoranda, reports duplicates materials, types and distributes staff information. Will be required to attend meetings to record and transcribe meeting minutes and from time to time these meetings will be outside of the regular work day.
- Coordinates work of office clerical personnel; monitors work load; makes arrangements for vacation coverage and overload assistance; coordinates and delegates special projects as needed.
- Maintains records and files for staff information; maintains staff absence and timesheet records, and prepares department leave records for the Payroll office.
- Maintains departmental budget data; prepares purchase orders and monthly and quarterly budget summary reports. Verifies budget totals with central business office records; provides information to Technology Director concerning budget balances. Records expenditures in budgeting records.
- Maintains files and records for district grants managed by Technology Director; monitors grant balances; answers questions concerning grant expenditure guidelines. Keeps supervisor informed of grant activity. Assists in the preparation of grants.
- Communicates on a regular basis with library staff, instructional technology staff, office managers, and school bookkeepers.
- Promotes positive relations with district personnel and the general public concerning the school district. Answers inquiries, researches data to provide information concerning technology programs as well.
- Performs a variety of related duties and special projects as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; required to meet inflexible deadlines. Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Occasionally exposed to high noise levels from technology equipment.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and five years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, including records maintenance and bookkeeping.
Advanced technical training in secretarial, bookkeeping or accounting procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to five years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial and bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accurate records.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Experience with data manipulation and reporting using Excel or Google Apps.
- Experience with / knowledge of computer software such as Windows, MS Office, Google Apps and other application software.
- Experience with / knowledge of Internet and e-mail communications.
- Ability to learn federal, state, and district rules and regulations concerning accounting procedures.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and remain flexible to changes in situations or assignments.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to detect errors in bookkeeping procedures.
- Ability to communicate bookkeeping procedures to school office staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.