PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Server Administrator’s role is to design, install, administer, and optimize company servers and related components to achieve high performance of the various business applications supported by tuning the servers as necessary. This includes ensuring the availability of virtualization hosts, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The Server Administrator will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. Where applicable, this individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure storage provisioning, efficiency, and maintenance that is consistent with organizational goals, and industry best practices.
This position reports to the Technical Support Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy & Planning
- Develop strategies for client/server implementations; architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
- Act as project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
- Lead, coordinate and participate in key process improvements as they relate to the client/server environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with technical services team members to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of organizational servers to meet business demands.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure server security.
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems, software, and storage in conjunction with technical services team members.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on server hardware, software, and protocols in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of organizational data and assets.
- Establish appropriate end-user access control levels for stored data.
- Check work order system for entries on server and server resource issues; prioritize and respond to work orders as appropriate.
- Serve as a cornerstone for escalating server issues; provide timely response to customer escalations.
- Perform file system configuration and management; define and perform server backups and recovery procedures.
- Plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
- Monitor and test system performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
- Define and implement strategies for integrating disparate operating system environments.
- Recommend and execute modifications to server environment in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and maintain training materials and server documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping processes, and service records.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Perform and test backups and restores to ensure that enterprise data is effectively protected.
- Monitor, analyze, and predict trends for storage equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
Formal Education & Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent, and 6 years work experience in related field.
Knowledge & Experience
- At least six years’ equivalent work experience in a senior technical analytical position responsible for managing server environments.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining all manners of server hardware and associated network equipment.
- Experience with server performance tuning and monitoring tools.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP and other network protocols, firewall management, and operating system configuration.
- General knowledge of storage technologies such as SAN or NAS, as well as Active Directory or other directory services.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principals, and general software management best practices.
- Project management skills a definite asset.
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- On-call availability for emergency issues.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, hand and power tools, and other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Some in-district travel may be required for the purpose of on-site software and applications testing.
- Wash Tech/CWA