Special Education Data Compliance Specialist – Student Services
Peninsula School District
SPECIAL EDUCATION DATA COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST – STUDENT SERVICES
LOCATION: Educational Service Center
This position manages the operation and integrity of the district special education database. Provides leadership, training and data related support to end users in the organization. Responsibilities include composing and preparing reports, providing accurate data to state and federal agencies. Communicates with the public, staff, parents and other outside agencies.
Reports to the Executive Director of Student Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes, evaluates and manages office work flow. Effectively monitors heavy workload, deadlines and projects.
- Assures the confidentiality of student special education records at district level for all schools and special education programs.
- Compiles facts and prepares confidential materials in preparation of hearings and court cases.
- Collaborates with the Director/Assistant Director in creating and updating the Special Services Procedural Manual.
- Works directly with the Director/ Assistant Director to meet deadlines for students in contracted placements in programs outside the district.
- Composes and prepares reports, statistical information, correspondence and guidelines from handwritten drafts or typewritten copy. Prepares graphic representations of information for departmental reports.
- Manages special education data management system, oversees data input, troubleshoots technical equipment and software issue.
- Provides comprehensive training and continued support to all staff on the special education management system.
- Enrolls Birth to 3 students, Child Find students and home school/private school students. Coordinates services and information with sending/receiving schools and school(s); completes procedures for students withdrawing from the school.
- Acts as liaison and makes frequent contact with ESD and OSPI to assure compliance and assures all records for State and Federal compliance monitoring.
- Keeps knowledgeable of current state and federal compliance requirements by screening bulletins and current regulations pertinent to various reports, applications and other matters supervised by Special Services Administrators.
- Creates and modifies special education data for presentations as needed.
- Creates, updates, maintains and provides spreadsheets and reports to business office, building principals, office managers and registrars to identify the special education students with a reduced FTE state funding.
- Receives and screens incoming correspondence and reports.
- Provides requested documentation, spreadsheets and reports to auditors and answers questions concerning compliance issues and concerns.
Office environment; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduate, or equivalent, and three years of database experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced skills in databases and spreadsheet use.
- Advanced skills in manipulating data into formats compatible with state and federal reporting requirements.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
- Knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures.
- Positive human relations skills with ability to maintain composure while effectively dealing with public.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to accurately perform arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through completion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment and various software systems.
- Ability to perform complex clerical projects and assignments.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports.
- Ability to provide direction and training to other clerical staff.
- Ability to remain flexible to changes in situations or assignments.
- Ability to run queries and harvest data from multiple sources.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, to anticipate needs and work productively on projects and deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to set up and maintain accurate filing system.