Student Database Administrator
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
STUDENT DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
The Student Database Administrator’s role is to manage the operation and integrity of the district student databases and network accounts database. This includes providing leadership, training and support to end users in the organization and to the public. The Student Database Administrator is also responsible for troubleshooting applications and software. The Student Database Administrator is responsible for providing accurate data reports to state and federal agencies.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Digital Learning
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy & Planning
- Conduct research and coordinate meetings with vendors on new student data systems. Analyze results; coordinate and lead pre conversion meetings with district stakeholders.
- Develop and update procedure manuals, training manuals and course content for staff training on student data systems on a regular and ongoing basis.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate implementation schedule with vendor and department heads.
- Identify required data fields in student data systems. Form district data standards committee, coordinate, schedule and lead meetings to standardize data entry, security, training and access. Record, track and document the process to final resolution.
- Coordinate and conduct staff training related to the use of the student records databases.
- Communicate regularly with building office staff, registrars, health technicians, nurses, attendance clerks, counselors, and other users to keep them current on procedures and technology related to the student records database.
- Conduct pre and post conversion district stakeholder meetings to ensure a smooth transition to new versions of student records database systems.
- Attend user group conferences and trainings for student data systems.
- Manage operation of the network accounts database and the student records database system, including maintenance and upgrades.
- Maintain the security of and access to the data residing in the student records databases.
- Provide support services for the student records database software to district/building staff.
- Investigate data-related problems using system level utilities; research and debug program code problems.
- Act as primary contact with student records service provider for support services.
- Program student database software to add specialized fields, link tables, and data entry forms to customize software to the needs of the Peninsula School District.
- Create custom reports to meet stakeholder needs through a variety of means using the formats of the all student information databases.
- Work with third party vendors providing software services to export student records information for use in their software applications.
- Attend OSPI and other regional meetings related to student data and state reporting.
- Support building/district/state/outside agencies by providing data necessary for accurate reporting.
- Research student information electronically through OSPI.
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Maintain User account database in establishing, expiring and deleting network and email accounts for all users in the Peninsula School District.
- Responds to staff and community inquiries regarding student data for the purpose of coordinating some aspects of the student data program.
- Maintain confidentiality of all records.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Formal Education & Certification
- Associate’s degree or equivalent course work in Computer Science, or closely related quantitative field; Bachelor’s degree in related field, preferred; and three years of experience maintaining detailed data and numeric records; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
- Must have experience training users (10-20) in a classroom setting.
- Advanced technical training in currently used database preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- Technical knowledge to provide support of student records software at an administrator level.
- In depth experience with Excel 2010 or above.
- In depth, hands-on knowledge of and experience with student database systems.
- Proven experience with troubleshooting a student records database and providing support on a secondary level.
- Experience with maintaining databases for query and problem tracking.
- Highly effective written, oral, interpersonal and presentational skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to train others in use of student data and database systems in user-friendly language.
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and as a member of a team.
- Requires visual concentration; attention to detail, dexterity, and precision.
- Exposure to visual display terminal for prolonged periods.
- Necessitates prolonged periods of sitting
- Occasionally required to travel to school sites and Educational Service District offices.
- WA Tech/CWA