PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
RECEPTIONIST / CENTRAL SWITCHBOARD OPERATOR
LOCATION: Educational Service Center
This position is the receptionist and central switchboard operator for the district’s Administration Office, Transportation, Maintenance, Information Services, and assigned schools. Responsibilities include projecting a positive image for the district, greeting and assisting visitors, answering incoming calls, taking messages, and placing outgoing calls for staff as requested. The position also performs a variety of clerical duties to support the central district office.
Reports to Business Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position performs all or a combination of several of the following duties, depending upon individual assignment.
- Warmly welcomes visitors to the office; announces visitors to district staff; directs visitors to proper office as necessary. Maintains the reception area in a clean, orderly and welcoming manner.
- Maintains current scheduling calendar for district meetings to be held in the E.S.C. conference rooms. Maintains a central school activity calendar for general information for the public and coordination of calendar scheduling.
- Answers incoming calls on the district’s central switchboard; provides general information; routes callers to appropriate extensions or takes messages. Places outgoing long distance telephone calls for staff members with restricted telephone services.
- Monitors operation of switchboard; alerts supervisor if system is not functioning properly; calls for service as needed. Relays messages concerning problems in telephone service as alerted by staff members in other locations. Keeps a log of problems and resolutions.
- Trains work experience students and others in use of switchboard system; demonstrates use of system and answers questions.
- Provides clerical support as needed in district’s Administration office to include typing letters, memos and forms from handwritten drafts or corrected copy on word processing equipment; collating and distributing district employment application forms, preparing envelopes for in-district and out-of-district mailings; assists with bulk mailings; maintaining reference files, and sorting purchase orders and invoices;.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail for district’s administration office; processes outgoing mail by affixing postage and driving to U.S. mail drop to post mail.
- Maintains voter records; mails voter registration cards to election department; answers questions concerning voter registration process.
- Maintains a variety of files as requested.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; confined to work area and required to sit for prolonged periods. Required to lift and carry heavy mail bags; required to drive to offsite location to post mail.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in clerical procedures and two years of clerical experience, including answering the telephone and greeting the public.
Advanced technical training in secretarial procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of clerical practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and English usage.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to learn the operation of a multi-line switchboard and respond to multiple incoming calls.
- Ability to learn the operation of word processing equipment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to positively represent the district to the public.
- Ability to use tact when dealing with upset and angry individuals.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, and staff.
Valid Washington State driver’s license.