Secretary – Gig Harbor High School
PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
SECRETARY – GHHS
LOCATION: Gig Harbor High School
This position provides secretarial support to the Assistant Principals and other building administrators as needed. Responsibilities include managing Assistant Principals schedules, discipline and emergency reports and processes; various forms of communication through handbooks, newsletters, website, etc.; typing and filing correspondence. This position also provides assistance to the GHHS office in general.
Reports to Assistant Principals, Dean of Students and Principal. Receives lead direction from Office Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Managing Assistant Principals calendars, including scheduling meetings, sending out invitations, emails, and phone calls to involved parties; decision-making and/or prioritizing principals’ time.
- Responsibly for receiving, evaluating, and routing disciplinary and HIB reports to appropriate administrator; managing/monitoring students; managing paperwork, entering in database; tracking various compliance issues such as drug and alcohol, discipline and suspension, including communicating with law enforcement, case workers, parents, teachers, counselors, transportation and security.
- Types correspondence, forms, reports, and memoranda such as student handbooks, staff handbooks, parent newsletter, school messenger and altered bell schedules; duplicates and distributes typewritten copy and pre-printed information. Ensures confidentiality of disciplinary letters and other materials.
- Maintains school website with emergency information; supports parent/student/teacher communication; assists in developing emergency procedures for the schools; removes departed staff and puts new staff in to fulfill emergency responsibilities; uses publisher to create flow charts and diagrams showing duties, evacuation routes, etc.; updates binders each year, removing outdated materials and replacing it with current information.
- Creates, maintains and updates staff reference manual.
- Gathers information and prepares, emails and posts on the website (reads over PA system when necessary) morning announcements.
- Works with the principal(s) and is responsible for initiating and overseeing all aspects of the graduation ceremony and activities that accompany it; the go-to-person for all questions, parent contact, staff and district information regarding graduation.
- Answers the telephone and responds to inquiries concerning school events. Assists visitors to the school when coming to the main office.
- Works in collaboration with administration, staff and teachers to support a safe and welcoming environment for all students.
- Schedules appointments, answers the telephone and processes confidential staff evaluations for Assistant Principals. Assists principal in coordinating special events and assemblies.
- Assists in coordinating Washington State testing.
- Performs a variety of other office duties such as maintaining daily conference room schedule, duplicating and distributing materials, providing first aid care to injured or ill students in the absence of the school nurse, overseeing work of student office assistants, and filing. Provides backup assistance to manager during absences.
- Onsite repair contact for copy machines. Share responsibility in stocking paper and supplies for machines. Trouble shoots for minor repairs.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; occasionally required to meet inflexible deadlines. Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Occasionally exposed to infectious diseases when working in the health room.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in secretarial procedures and three years of secretarial experience, strong computer skills/experience in a variety of software programs, especially spreadsheet and database; customer service oriented.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience and skills to operate a personal computer and specific software programs, including creating databases and spreadsheet files.
- General secretarial procedures and processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public; friendly, customer service-oriented attitude is essential.
- Strict confidentiality is essential.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, multi-task and remain flexible. Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and filing system.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Must complete training in first aid and CPR as required by the District.